The Hellenic Institute of International and Foreign Law was established in 1939. The product of efforts by Professor Petros Vallindas, first Institute Director (1939-1960), who had realized the importance of such an organization, the Institute followed the model of similar institutions already operating in other European countries.
As of its establishment, the Institute was called to contribute in the promotion of legal sciences in Greece, and also of the knowledge of Greek law beyond national confines.
The outbreak of the Second World War led to the temporary suspension of all Institute activities. The Institute resumed its activity at the end of the Occupation.
Since then, and to this day, the Institute is the main Greek research institution in the fields of international law, foreign law and comparative law.